2019 Hawaii International Cup Tournament Rules
Rules last updated: 7-Feb-2019
Rules of play: (FIFA, USYSA, & US Club RULES APPLY)
It is the understanding of this tournament committee that all teams, including all players, coaches, spectators, and officials, will participate in the spirit of:
- No protests will be allowed during this tournament.
- The decision of the Referee, Field Marshall, and the Tournament Director shall be final.
- All games will be considered final.
Player age groups:
The tournament will host U6 – U19 age groups for boys and girls. Groups may be combined if there are not enough teams in an age group; alternatively, a refund will be issued.
Playing formats will be based on the following age groups, as determined by the US Club Soccer Birth-Year Registration and Season Matrix:
|Age group||Birth year||# of players||Durations|
Prelims & Quarters
Semi-finals & Finals
|4v4||2×20 mins||2×25 mins||2×5 mins||4|
|7v7||2×20 mins||2×25 mins||2×5 mins||4|
|9v9||2×30 mins||2×30 mins||2×10 mins||4|
|11v11||2×30 mins||2×30 mins||2×10 mins||5|
|11v11||2×30 mins||2×35 mins||2×10 mins||5|
|11v11||2×30 mins||2×35 mins||2×10 mins||5|
Additional format considerations:
- All teams will be scheduled for a minimum of 4 games.
- All Preliminary games will be terminated not less than five (5) minutes prior to the scheduled start of the next game regardless of the amount of time played in each half up to that point.
- A game is considered “complete” upon completion of one half of play regardless of the circumstances of termination during the second half, with final results based on the score at termination.
- A preliminary game can end in a tie.
- Quarter-final & Semi-final games ending in a tie will go directly to FIFA Kicks from the Mark to determine a winner.
- CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, if tied after regulation, will play two (2), ten (10) minute, equal, sudden-death, golden goal, overtime halves for U11-U18 or two (2), five (5) minute, equal, sudden-death, golden goal, overtime halves for U6-U10 (Golden Goal: first team to score “wins”).
- CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, if tied after overtime, will proceed immediately to FIFA Kicks from the Mark to determine the winner.
All teams must provide a team roster. Teams may register/roster a maximum number of players based on the following age groups:
|Age Group||Maximum Roster per Game|
|U6, U7, U8||8|
|U13 and above||18|
A team may use up to 7 guest players, but any team utilizing guest players is still limited to the stated maximum roster size.
Note: Rosters are frozen once the first game is played and no additional players may be added after the competition has started.
Teams must register at the mandatory check-in on August 8, 2019 at Waipio Soccer Field Ticket Office. Check-in times:
- Out-of-state and international teams: 3:30 – 4:30 pm
- Hawaii teams: 4:30 – 5:30 pm
Teams traveling to Hawaii from outside the state may request check-in 2 hours prior to the start of tournament play. Failure to check-in may result in disqualification from the tournament without a refund of the fee. At the discretion of the tournament, the disqualified team may be allowed to compete as a “Guest team.” Games not played will be classified as “Forfeits and Byes.”
Requirements for check-in:
At the mandatory check-in, teams must provide the required credentials.
Teams from the United States
All US teams must provide:
- Valid 2018-2019 or 2019-2020 player picture identification cards, sanctioned by the team’s Federation Organization Member (USYSA, US Club Soccer, AYSO, USSF)
- Proof of approval of the team’s participation from the teams Federation Organization Member
- Proof of permission to travel if the team is not from Hawaii
All International teams must provide:
- Player passports or, if from a nation that the United States does not require a passport, proof of entry into the United States as required by the United States.
- Player picture identification cards. In the event an International teams does not have League ID cards, a photo of each player should be provided in addition to the passport.
- A letter from the Provincial or National Association approving the team’s participation in the tournament.
All players must have signed medical release forms at team check-in. Forms must also be available throughout the tournament.
Proper player loan forms will be required at check-in, along with other required credentials.
The referee has the final determination as to the safety of each player’s equipment.
All players are required to use shin guards. No rings, chains, watches, casts, metal objects, jewelry, or headbands may be worn. Soft casts are permitted if padded and the referee considers them safe.
The shirt number of each player must be the same as the player’s shirt number on the game card or roster.
Home team responsibilities:
The home team is responsible for game balls, unless provided by tournament. The game ball is subject to referee approval.
At the discretion of the referee, if there is uniform conflict, the home team will change uniforms.
Both teams and coaches will be on the same sideline, as directed by the field marshal or referee, unless otherwise notified. All spectators will be on the opposite sideline.
Unlimited substitutions are allowed in all age groups. However, teams may substitute only with the referee’s permission. Substitutes must wait on the sideline (off of the field of play) until the field player has left the field of play and/or the referee has indicated the substitute may enter the field of play. Substitutions by either team are allowed at any stoppage of play, with the permission of the referee.
Halftime will be exactly five (5) minutes. Please help officials with this request.
All coaches have total responsibility for the conduct of their players, bench, friends and spectators at all time. Coaching from the sidelines (giving direction to one’s own team) is permitted provided:
- No mechanical devices are used;
- The tone of voice is instructive and not derogatory;
- Each coach or substitute remains within 10 yards of either side of the halfway line;
- No coach, substitute of spectator makes derogatory remarks or gestures to the referees, other coaches, players, substitutes or spectators;
- No coach, substitute of spectator uses profanity or incites, in any manner, disruptive behavior. Any parental behavior on the sideline such as profanity, coaching, fighting or other behavior that is not sportsmanlike is not accepted. Teams can be removed from the tournament per the tournament Committee if they feel the team sideline is out of control.
Cautions & ejections:
A player or coach receiving two (2) yellow cards in a single game is considered to have received an ejection (red card). Ejected players or coaches may not be replaced in the current game and shall serve minimum one (1) game suspension at their next game played. For flagrant violations, longer suspension or additional disciplinary action may be enforced based on mandatory review by the Tournament Director. The tournament director shall hold identification cards of the player or coach until suspensions are served.
Suspended players may sit with the team but may not be in uniform. Suspended coaches may not be on the same sideline as the team; no communication with the team of any manner will be permitted; suspended Coaches must be “out of sight and sound of the field”.
If, in the opinion of game officials, a game must be terminated due to misconduct of players, bench or spectators, the offending team could be suspended from further play and forfeit all points and position previously earned. Additionally, the home league and state association will be contacted as appropriate.
Teams taking actions, causing a game to be terminated, will forfeit.
Forfeitures & byes:
Games not played will be classified as “Forfeits & Byes”. Teams failing to report, ready to play, within fifteen (15) minutes of scheduled kick-off time shall forfeit the game. All teams who forfeit will have the game scored as a 0-3 loss. The winner will be awarded 3 tournament points for a win and will have the game scored a 3-0 win.
Based on age group, teams will need the following minimum number of players to start the game:
|Age group||Minimum players needed|
|U6, U7, U8||3|
|U13 and above||8|
Decisions by referees may not be appealed and any decision on a dispute will be final and may not be appealed.
The Tournament Committee will handle all disputes that are non-referee decisions and will make all final decisions.
Delay of the game due to injury will result in appropriate time being added to the full game time, based on the judgment of the referee. At the discretion of the tournament and its staff all Preliminary games will be terminated not less than five (5) minutes prior to the scheduled start of the next game regardless of the amount of time played in each half up to that point.
Scores after each game will be delivered by the referees to the Field Marshall.
Tournament points system:
The following points will be allotted:
- 3 Points for each Win
- 1 point for each Tie
- 0 points for each Loss
In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined as follows:
- The winner of head-to-head competition
- Highest goal differential
- Most goals scored
- Fewest goals against
- Most total wins
- Most shutouts
If a tie still exists after steps 1-6, FIFA Kicks from the Mark will be taken fifteen (15) minutes prior to the scheduled start of the Semi-Final game. If a 3-way tie exists within a bracket after steps 1-6, a three-way coin flip will be conducted; the teams that tie in the coin flip will compete in FIFA Kicks from the Mark to eliminate one team prior to proceeding to FIFA Kicks from the Mark with the third team. The coin flip and time of the FIFA Kicks from the Mark will be determined at the fields.
If a team advances as a wildcard and is set to play a team from the same group, the tournament most likely will move the wildcard team to play opposite semi-final.
Acts of God:
Rain or other weather conditions during the tournament shall not delay play unless the referee determines the field to be unsafe for play or the venue determines that field damage will result due to continued play. In the event of such a delay or postponement of games, the tournament will endeavor to reschedule the games in a reasonable manner, if possible. If games cannot be rescheduled or played due to rain, weather, or other Acts of God, there will be no refund or credit of fees.
The following are prohibited at the tournament:
- No alcohol permitted
- No noise makers
- No smoking
- No animals (Dogs) with the exception of service animals